RE: STAAD or RISA?

Dear Bill,

Software is a habit, so the most important issue for
you is familiarity. Since you have been using STAAD
since version 8, I am sure you must be knowing all the
"ins & the outs" of the program, what it can & cannot
do, and above all how to go about doing things it
cannot do. No software can do everything, so knowing
about a software "in depth" is the key to using it
successfully & productively. I don't agree with
Gerrard, that you can start using RISA after 2 hours
of tutorials. Although I must admit that I have not
used RISA, but I believe that no software worth its
salt, can be used PRODUCTIVELY, without a continuous
usage.

I can bet, it will be easier for you to adapt yourself
to the new GUI of the Pro version of STAAD than
learning the "ins & the outs" of a totally new
software, that you have not used that extensively. And
I guess, since you are using STAAD since version 8,
you most be doing 90% of the input work thru the text
file anyway. So if you get stuck up in the GUI, you
will at least know how to do it in text (although it
may take a little more time), but my question to you
is what will you do if you get stuck, and specially
with no indepth knowledge, with a software that you
are not so familiar with.

I think for you the issue is PRODUCTIVITY. The
question of choice comes only for the novice or for a
person who is dissatisfied with the product he is
using (so he has to break the habit).

Regards

Pankaj Gupta
Structures Online