RE: STAAD or RISA?

>I believe that no software worth its salt, can be used
> PRODUCTIVELY, without a continuous usage.

Absolutely dead on. I've been using FEA for about 25 years and my
experience is that it takes no less than 6 months to a year to develop
methodologies for interpretation and validation and to find and deal with
input errors. The whole notion of user-friendly and intuitive input means
the code is easy, perhaps a thrill, to run; there's no connection to
issues of program errors, mis-interpretation or applicability.

I've found that no FEA software is only intuitive to the extent that a
user has a intuitive grasp of structural mechanics and design. FEA
software may seem user-friendly to a tyro, but the term usually means as
marketeer-speak for whizzy graphics. By the time a user dopes out a
fairly bullet-proof (read systematic to the point of being anal) input
procedure, recognizes program pit-falls, figures work-arounds for bugs,
and learns to interpret and communicate output and has made enough
mistakes to do proper sanity checks, user-friendliness is meaningless.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw