RE: STAAD or RISA?

Hi Pankaj,

Here is why I phrased my response the way I did with the magical 2 hours
up and running time everyone (with some exceptions) is shitting their
pants over...

The original post was from Bill Allen. Bill has been on this list longer
than me (I've been on it four years now) and he regularly posts. I
respect his opinion and he's seems to know his stuff. That said, along
with Bill's statement that he has been using STAAD for many years, makes
me believe that Bill already understands that any "FEA" software or
Matrix Analysis software or whatever you want to call it, needs to be
used when A) You trust the results & B) You have the capability to
verify the results (i.e. looking at deflected shapes, reactions, and
moment diagrams etc...) Additionally, because Bill has been using STAAD,
he also understands what goes into building a model, members, node
releases, loads etc - these are true of all programs of this nature.

Bill seemed to be concerned about an unfamiliar GUI with the new staad.
Therefore he would have to learn it. It will take some time for him to
get up and running learning the new staad or he could do it as a text
input (some people have mentioned this is still possible).

With RISA there would also be a learning curve - My belief is that this
learning curve will be 2 hours - to about a day for some one of Bill's
capabilities and experience with modeling to be PRODUCTIVE in RISA. My
definition of Productive is to build the model, load it, analyze it, and
interpret the results. The trust he needs to build with the program will
come over time - Just as it will with the new version of STAAD.

Back when I used STAAD, I had several instances where I had to call
technical support and got the proverbial - your modeling is flawed
response. When I call Risa, the staff would 1st ask me to send the model
to them. On one occasion they fixed a bug because of what I sent them.
The customer support was top notch and the program, although not as
"powerful" as STAAD (i.e. the space shuttle wasn't taking off when I
loaded risa), it was capable of doing everything I needed beyond moving
up to Etabs or SAP for high rise buildings that had shearwalls. STAAD
has been bashed for years on this list and is generally regarded as a
sub-par product for the price by American engineers (yes I know I'm
generalizing). For a little less I can get RISA, a little more I can get
Etabs or Sap, and I don't have to buy all the little add ons.

In summary, go with RISA and you will be productive quickly as long as
you have an understanding of how structures BEHAVE. If you are just a
technician entering data and printing results - my statements do not
apply.

As Robert Plant once sang "I'm ramblin' YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH Sing my
song ..."

Respectfully,
-Gerard
Santa Clara, CA