Shear Stud Tensile Strength

What is the accepted method, if any, for determining the tensile pull-out strength for a shear stud in concrete? In this case, the shear studs are welded to a steel plate embedded into concrete, to which a steel memeber is welded. Do I assume a failure cone and calculate the shear strenght of the concrete, and ensure it is less than the tensile strneght of the stud?

eric green
-speaking for me, not my employer