RE: Shear Stud Tensile Strength

Chapter 6 of the PCI Design Handbook for Precast and Prestressed Concrete is
a good reference for capacities of plates with welded studs. The concrete
capacity is based on the projected area of the pull-out cone of the stud
times the assumed tensile capacity of the concrete (2.8*f'c^0.5); but
requires adjustments for spacing, edge distance, etc. Ductile design is
preferred, i.e. concrete capacity to exceed yield strength of the stud.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236