RE: EJCDC Documents (OR: What's The Point Of Even Joining ASCE?)

It's definitely not geared toward structural. I was a member for two
years but I am not renewing this year. I liked the magazines but that's
about it. I am also wondering about my SEAOC membership. I think the
thing with all professional memberships is that you get out of them what
you put into them. I don't have the time to participate (I need to make
money to live in Silicon Valley) and see the real benefits.

I have been very happy with my AISC membership. I get lots of good
information and a good discount on pubs, which are almost always very
good resources. I think I will save my dinero for AISC and maybe ACI
next year rather than ASCE.

I have E&O through DPIC and they give me tons of material about contract
wording and liability. I think you can buy the book from them if you
aren't covered by them. As far as getting paid, I don't do anything
without a signed contract and a retainer if the client is new (all my
clients are new at this point) so I have something to fall back on if I
get stiffed. Since I do a lot of work for homeowners now, I also don't
give them submittals until the pay me in full. In residential, sometimes
people have a misconception about how much things cost, especially
around here. People think they are going to build their house for
$100/sq. foot and then they get bids at $300 a sq. foot, they scrap the
job and no one gets paid.

Since texas doesn't have plan checking, you may also run into trouble
because you may never hear from a client again once you give them the
drawings. Out here, you are guaranteed at least some minor comments and
the client has to come back to you for the plan check response. If you
haven't gotten paid by that time, you say "I'll be glad to turn this
around if I can get paid for the work I've already done."

Then doing work with contractors who take forever to pay is also
annoying and with today's economy who knows if they'll be in existence
in two months. Such is the dilemma of the small engineering firm. I hate
calling people up and saying "Hey bud, where's my dough" .. but I'm
getting better at it.

-gerard
Santa Clara, CA