From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 4:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Master/Slave (Was STAAD or RISA?)

Scott,

        Thanks for bringing this Master/Slave thing up.  I have never
properly understood it.

        As I see it making a group of nodes slave to one other node makes
ALL of the degrees of freedom for the group the same.  This means that the
group can move "en mass" but can not rotate since rotation would some nodes
to move more than others (ie. rotate about some axis).  I can't visualize
any practical use for this feature.  If anyone can clarify the real use of
this Master/Slave thing I would appreciate it.