RE: EJCDC Documents (OR: What's The Point Of Even Joining ASCE?)

> FWIW, it looks like AISC hasn't lost sight of its mission. Can't say the
> same for everyone.

I never realized that the "mission" of organizations like ASCE, ACI, and
others was to produce things for their members for free.

In fact, according to ASCE's website, the missions is:

"To provide essential value to our members, their careers, our partners
and the public by developing leadership, advancing technology, advocating
lifelong learning, and promoting the profession."

Now some may argue that "providing essential value" may come in the form
of free publications for members, I don't see anything explicit in that
mission statement that would really lead me to believe that.

Of course, you have the right to believe what you wish and there is
nothing to say that you have to be a member.  So, if you think that ASCE
(or some other organization) is not doing what they say or don't provide
value for what you pay in member dues, then by all means don't be a
member.

On a side note, while I don't applaude AISC for providing some techincal
publications (specifications) for free, I have to point out that I have
commented on this issue before.  While it would be nice if all technical
organizations and professional organizations could provide things for
free, the reality is that it takes money to produce those
publications...and typically it takes more money than what members
currently pay or would be willing to pay.  It so happens that AISC seems
to have enough other revenue streams that allows them to provide some
publications for free.  This is not apparently true for other
organizations (I know it is true of ACI).  As much as people may wish it,
things just don't happen with no costs associated on a regular basis.
Roads don't get fixed for free, music doesn't get made for free,
structural drawings and calculations don't get done for free, and as it
turns out, technical publications don't get create at no cost.  Somewhere,
somehow, these items must be paid for.  Enough of my soap box for
now...time for me to go watch Michigan try to blow it against Western
Michigan.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI