Re: STAAD or RISA?

Ah, but you will find that most structural programs work this way.  Even
RISA has a service agreement that you must pay in order to get the
upgrades and technical support.  In fact, now a days most computer
software no longer has "free" technical support.  The closest that you can
get now a days if you make a toll call but don't have to pay a per
incident or such for technical support, but to be honest even that is
rare.  Many companies require you to pay a per incident fee to technical
support.  The "better" companies (in my own opinion) will not charge that
per incident fee is it turns out to be a problem of their own making (i.e.
a program bug) rather than a user created problem.

Now it is entirely possible that the people at RISA _MIGHT_ still answer a
question or two even if you don't do the maintanence/service agreement
since they are very customer oriented (at least more so than the people at
REI in my experience).

Also note that with RISA, you do get your first year of maintainence
"free" when you originally purchase the program.

Now, I do agree that in theory, if a computer company thinks that they
have good software, there should be no reason for them to charge for
technical support.  The problem with that theory is that even though the
software may be good (or not), a lot of technical support calls are a
result of people who have easily preventable or fixable problems that
don't make any real effort to either prevent or fix their own problem that
they essentially created.  In otherwords, the computer company gets
flooded with technical support questions that "waste" their time and their
money that were not really created by any poor programming effort or poor
software design on their part.  Thus, they reach a point where they can no
longer make any money without having to charge extra for technical
support.  A similar analogy in our world would be a client that really
wants extra services but for free as opposed to a client coming back with
true problems created due to the fact that the structural drawings were
incomplete or confusing.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI