RE: EJCDC Documents (OR: What's The Point Of Even Joining ASCE?)

To be honest (to you and ASCE), the price of the EJCDC documents may be
fair and it may not.  From my position (even with my experience with
working for a similar type organization), $500 does seem a little high.
But, then, as I pointed out in my last message, I don't really know ASCE's
perspective.  There may be costs associated with the production of those
documents that you and I are unaware of...for example, maybe ASCE _DID_
pay for the volunteers' travel expenses or even some hourly fee (after
all, since they are contracts maybe they decided that they had to pay some
attornies to review them from liability point of view and could not just
have an ASCE member do this on a volunteer basis since ASCE's members are
typically not lawyers).

The point is that there are costs associates with production of those
documents as well as code documents and for the most part, you and I may
never know (right or wrong) what those costs are.  It is entirely possible
that ASCE is jacking up the price of the EJCDC documents to bring in some
real good money for other purposes...but then it is also possible that
they are losing money on them (which if true could be their own fault
because they charge too much which means that fewer documents get sold).

Regardless, here is another way to look at the whole situation...how much
would it cost you to "revamp" your contracts by working with a lawyer?
Considering that many lawyers charge on the order of $200 or more an hour,
just spending about 2-3 hours talking with a lawyer about your contracts
would "pay" for those EJCDC contracts.  Thus, you certainly have viable
(although not necessarily prudent) other options...you could just
"revamp"/re-write your contracts yourself with no help from a lawyer and
run the risk of getting burned by leaving something out, you could
"revamp"/re-write your contracts yourself with help from a lawyer and have
a better level of comfort that you have covered your a$$ well but spent a
lot of dough on the lawyer, or you could bite the bullet and buy the EJCDC
documents that have likely been (or not...don't know) throughly "tested"
in court meaning that your a$$ should be covered just fine.  In the end,
it is entirely possible that paying the $500 for the EJCDC documents may
be the "cheapest" solution after all, thus making their price in reality
fair.  Just dunno...

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI