Re: Spreadsheets, macros, programming, oh my!

---- Original Message -----
From: Dave Langhone <prcengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 22:34:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dave

>Are most engineers fluent in writing these macro languages?

No, these skills come to bear when the need arises.  Also, it tends to be a skill that gets obsolete quickly (say 6 months).

>But are more and more people going to be writing mini programs?

Probably.  With lots of undocumented enhancements (bugs)

> I would like to know because I want to know if I need to make a trip to Borders and pick up one of those "Programming for Dummies that Know How to Calculate Story Drifts But Don't Know How To Write a For Loop".

In my opinion, VBA (visual basic for applications) is an appropriate macro programming language that Engineers should have some familiarity with, but don't expect it ever to be part of a PE exam.  There are microsoft based newsgroups and step by step manuals that discus programming techniques and provide some help. But while learning the language, pay as much attention to the philosophy as well as the syntax. The philosopy is likely to last, the syntax will eventually vaporize.

Ray

--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup