Why I Continue To Shell Out The Money (WAS: EJCDC Documents (OR: What's The Point Of Even Joining ASCE?))

BTW: I should point out that I will, regretably, continue paying the dues to ASCE--from which I get little benefit except being able to pay "member price" for publications and for the fat-laden dinner at the occasional monthly meeting.

Why?

One reason: The privilege of having a say in their proceedings.

For example: The Texas Branch of ASCE is authoring a document that they hope will eventually become a state "building code" (or "codelet" as I call it) governing foundations for light commercial and residential construction. The code as it has been developing has a lot of stuff in their to shift all responsibility from geotechnical engineers--which have a strong presence in ASCE because of the large geotech firms such as PSI or Law--to the structural engineer.

I sat on a review committee for one of our local structural engineering organizations that made comments to the draft of the paper, and will take up the matter legislatively if the original intent is maintained.

The stipulation was that you had to be a member of ASCE to comment "on the record"; otherwise, you could only comment during the "public comment" period.

Being an ASCE member gave me standing that I wouldn't have had otherwise. So you have to join "the Party" in order to try to influence things (even if it is rather like a minnow trying to push an Aircraft Carrier in an attempt to change its course).