Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

Bill,

The reasons are more political than technical.  There are three main backers of the NFPA code.  The first are those that felt they were not treated fairly (i.e. did not get their way) during the IBC code development process.  The second is the plumbers union.  The IBC allows plastic pipe (read non-union) where the NFPA requires metal pipe.  The unions are supplying direct and indirect money to support the NFPA (read campaign contributions).  The third, and basically related to number 2, is Ted Kennedy.  NFPA is headquartered in Massachusetts.  When the government (FEMA, etc.) were starting to rally around the IBC, Ted was introducing bills to require the government to be non-code specific.

Here in California we currently have a traditional very liberal, union backed governor.  I am sure if he has any say he will lean towards the NFPA to get votes and more $$.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Bill Polhemus" <bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc>

09/10/2002 08:29 AM
Please respond to seaint