Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

NFPA is supported by the unions and their big wallets.
NFPA 5000 is an ANSI accredited document.

IBC supported by building officials and their small wallets.
IBC is not an ANSI accredited document.

The good news is that NCSEA has coordinated an effort to encourage both
codes to adopt by reference the same standard references; AISC for steel
design, ACI for concrete design, ASCE for design loads, etc.  This effort
has been 99% successful.  Structural design should not be much different
for either code.

Which jurisdiction will choose which code?  Who can predict politics? (You
thought maybe engineers will decide?)

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

*********

                    "Bill Polhemus"
                    <bill@polhemus.      To:     <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    cc>
                    09/10/02 08:29       cc:
                    AM
                    Please respond       Subject:     NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?
                    to seaint

Just the other day I had a building official in a small city in north Texas
tell me that "NFPA decided not to publish it's building code after all."

I thought he was incorrect, but deferred to his statement, since (as I
assume) building officials get the inside scoop on all that stuff. Besides,
he sounded very informed about the issue.

Now, here's an article in the latest STRUCTURAL ENGINEER magazine, telling
us that NFPA has now been issued.

What I want to know is:

1) Why did they proceed with development of this code, even in the face of
all the negative criticism not only from the "big three" code development
orgs who now support the ICC, but from building officials, design
professionals and others?

2) Who is going to use this code? To me, since the vast majority of
code-adoption jurisdictions have a clear, natural migration path from
UBC/SBC/NBC to IBC and its related cousins, NFPA 5000 seems to be in the
same situation as that of the personal computing world, where IBM's OS/2
was
a better, but born-to-lose contestant for the PC desktop in the face of
Microsoft's "Windows Everywhere" in the early 90s.

I'd like some comments, especially from those who are more familiar with
what is going on.

the views of the company.