From: "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 2:26 PM
Subject: Re: Why I Continue To Shell Out The Money (WAS: EJCDC Documents
(OR: What's The Point Of Even Joining ASCE?))

> David,
>
> Hate to be a nit-picker (OK, you caught me...I really like it), but ASCE
> is really a PROFESSIONAL organization not a technical one.  The primary
> focus of ASCE is to promote and advance the profession of civil
> engineering.  They also happen to be in the business of doing some
> technical stuff, so you could claim that they are partly a technical
> organization.
>
> ACI is a pure technical organization.  PCI is a trade organization.  AISC
> wears two hats by being both a trade and technical organization.  PCA is a
> trade organization.  NSPE is a professional organization.  SEAOC (and all
> the other SEAs) are all professional organizations (some of which still do
> some very real technical stuff).
>
> HTH,
>
> Scott
> Ypsilanti, MI
>

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, M. David Finley, P.E. wrote:
>
> > While this is a poor reason to be a member of a TECHNICAL association, I
have continued my membership in ASCE primarily because the health &
disability insurance coverage has been better than I could obtain elsewhere,
even including the membership dues.

> > M. David Finley, P.E.
> > 3810 South First Street - Suite 7
> > Lake City, FL  32025
> > 386-752-6400

dues to ASCE--from which I get little benefit except being able to pay
"member price" for publications and for the fat-laden dinner at the
occasional monthly meeting.

> >   Why?
> >
> >   One reason: The privilege of having a say in their proceedings.
> >
> >   For example: The Texas Branch of ASCE is authoring a document that
they hope will eventually become a state "building code" (or "codelet" as I
call it) governing foundations for light commercial and residential
construction. The code as it has been developing has a lot of stuff in their
to shift all responsibility from geotechnical engineers--which have a strong
presence in ASCE because of the large geotech firms such as PSI or Law--to
the structural engineer.

> >   I sat on a review committee for one of our local structural
engineering organizations that made comments to the draft of the paper, and
will take up the matter legislatively if the original intent is maintained.

> >   The stipulation was that you had to be a member of ASCE to comment "on
the record"; otherwise, you could only comment during the "public comment"
period.

> >   Being an ASCE member gave me standing that I wouldn't have had
otherwise. So you have to join "the Party" in order to try to influence
things (even if it is rather like a minnow trying to push an Aircraft
Carrier in an attempt to change its course).