Re: Residential steel beams

Jeff,

This is something that is typcially dictated by the PE act (and to a
lesser degree maybe the local code official).  For most states, the
licensing act (PE, Arch, SE, etc) dictate what must be designed by a
licensed professional.

Thus, you will really need to look at the PE act (or other licensing acts)
that govern for you state.

Here in Michigan, the PE act (the act actually also covers
architects, but I will call the PE act for convience) allows that any
residential structure under 3500 sq ft DO NOT need to be designed by a
licensed professional (i.e. professional engineer or architect).  Thus,
you could have your 10 year old son or daughter design your
house...assuming that it met the code requirements (i.e. your son or
daughter could correctly interpret the code requirements).  For the most
part, a PE is not really involved in residential design in my neck of the
woods...but this can change if the local code official deems that
something varies from the normal code provisions (i.e. typical
conventional framing from the code).  In this latter case, the code
official will some times require the drawings and some calculations to be
stamped by a PE.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI