RE: welded truss design assumptions

I usually analyze the webs as having fixed ends to design for the moment induced, but design with a k=1 for axial loads.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 4:48 PM
To: Seaint
Subject: welded truss design assumptions

I am reviewing someone elses truss design and question one of his assumptions.  When we do trusses, we typically assume that the web members are pinned and that these members only carry axial load - even if the connections are welded.  The truss that I am reviewing was designed with all of the members assumed to be fixed ends.  It is a typical WT top and bottom chord truss with angle webs.  No special connections - just gussets in line with the WT webs and welds on one leg of the angles.  Just curious what the general concensus is out there.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates