Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

Bill

The City of Phoenix has announced its intent on adopting the NFPA code
instead of the IBC codes sometime next year.  Phoenix is currently on the
1997 UBC.  This is supposed to be in response to the NFPA code being a
"consensus" code and the IBC not being one, whatever that means.  I am not
totally clear on what being a concessus code means and why IBC is not one.
Interesting fact is that the rest of the state has or is adopting the IBC
2000 and IRC Codes leaving Phoenix to go it alone.  I don't know what will
happen when we submit a specification on epoxy or roof deck with an ICBO
number to the City of Phoenix.  Could be a very interesting transition.

Mel Slaysman