Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

Bill,

As Tom pointed out, much of it is political.  I am aware of two groups
that have "pushed" for the NFPA building code...fire officials/marshalls
and plumbing union(s).  Part of the reason, as I understand it, is that
the IBC folks rubbed NFPA the wrong way by not referencing some of their
fire protection documents and plumbing documents.

As far as who will use it...that remains the big question.  If is purely a
decision by the local code official, then likely it will be the IBC.  If
is purely the decision of the local fire official/marshall, then likely it
will be the NFPA 5000.  Since both usually have a say in the matter of
the local code, however, it will likely become a matter of who has more
political influence locally.

And, to my knowledge (as of talking with someone at NFPA within the last
month), the NFPA is still on track for release soon if not already.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI