Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

Mel,

I forgot to mention in my previous post why the NFPA is considered a
concensus document while the IBC is not.  Supposedly, the NFPA 5000 will
just flat reference ANSI/concensus documents with NO changes.  Thus, all
the "provisions" of the NFPA 5000 (which are really the provisions of the
referenced documents) will be created by a concensus process.

The IBC's provisions are virtually all created by a concensus process
since most of those provisions are also provisions from referenced
documents.  The difference is that changes CAN be made to those concensus
based provisions from ANSI/consensus standards during the IBC code hearing
process, which is NOT a concensus based process.  Thus, the entire IBC
document is not a completely concensus based document.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI