Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

As others have pointed out in the past and has been highlighted in various
articles in publications, the NFPA 5000 code will strictly rely upon
referencing other ANSI standards or concensus based standards if there is
not accredited ANSI standard for that "thing".  This means that the NFPA
will reference ASCE 7 for loading, ACI 318 for concrete design, AISC's
LRFD and ASD and Seismic specs for steel design, the MSJC (ACI 530/ASCE
5/TMS 402) for masonry design, the wood NDS for most wood design, etc.
Supposedly, NFPA will make NO (or very, very minor) changes to those
documents when they reference them (meaning essentially that the
structural portion of the NFPA 5000 code should be very thin...basically a
statement to see this document and that document, which also means that we
will be buying more than just the NFPA document which users of the BOCA,
SBC, and IBC codes are already used to buy will be a change to UBC users).

It so happens that the IBC code essentially references the exact same
documents structurally.  Thus, there will be very little difference
structurally between the IBC and the NFPA 5000.  The main difference is
that there is more potential for IBC code to tweak/change the provisions
in that adopted references.  There are fewer changes being made in this
way in the IBC, but it can still be done.  Thus, in theory, the two should
be essentially the same, but there is still the chance for some
significant differences if the IBC people get a little "wild".

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI