To: Seaint
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 2:18 AM
Subject: welded truss design assumptions

I am reviewing someone elses truss design and question one of his assumptions.  When we do trusses, we typically assume that the web members are pinned and that these members only carry axial load - even if the connections are welded.  The truss that I am reviewing was designed with all of the members assumed to be fixed ends.  It is a typical WT top and bottom chord truss with angle webs.  No special connections - just gussets in line with the WT webs and welds on one leg of the angles.  Just curious what the general concensus is out there.
Thanks in advance.
Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates