Carbonation Induced Corrosion

I haven't seen any responses on this topic, so I'm resending this memo.

Regards,

Nick
----- Forwarded by Nick Pitera/EG-Engrg/3M/US on 09/11/02 12:17 PM -----
|--------+------------------------->
|        |          Nick Pitera    |
|        |                         |
|        |          09/10/02 10:08 |
|        |          AM             |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >----------------------------------------------------------|
  |     To:     seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org                            |
  |     cc:                                                  |
  |     Subject:     Carbonation Induced Corrosion           |
  >----------------------------------------------------------|

I'm presently looking at a 30 year old office building that has load bearing
precast concrete exterior wall panels. The exterior precast wall panels are
exposed aggregate ( you know that Soviet concrete look that was big
architectural hit  in the early 70s) . Bad choice of wall system.....
 Over 90% of the panels show cracking and rust bleed of from the rebar.  Cracks
range in .005" up to 1/2" in width with the typical crack width being about .03"
.Previous epoxy injection efforts from years on by have had pour results.

I think that carbonation could be one of the culprits here along with the freeze
thaw, and water penetration. I'm having some core samples taken for lab work.

 Has anybody had success stopping carbonation induced corrosion and with what
coating systems. Do coatings really prevent further corrosion?
Any comments on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick