Design ground accelerations

We have received plan check corrections on a Fire
Station we designed.  The governing Code is the 1997
UBC.

The plan checker has sited a section in the
Geotechnical report called "seismic shaking", that says
the building should be designed for .6g without
suffering significant damage, and .8g without
structural collapse.

The plan checker then goes on to site the California
Building Standards Administrative Code as requiring
that the building be designed for the ground
accelerations given in a Geologic Hazards Evaluation.

The plan checker is asking for additional structural
calculations showing that the building is able to
withstand peak ground accelerations of .6g's without
significant damage, and .8g's without structural
collapse.

What we have done is just used the 1997 UBC, taken into
account the near source factors, and factored again for
an essential facility.  Beyond that, I am not sure we
are required to do anything.

The language used by the plan checker seems to relate
more to NERHP provisions and the IBC design
methodology.

Has anyone else come up against this, and if so, what
have you done to satisfy the plan checker.

Thanks

Lynn