RE: Urgent PCA Survey on Rebar Names

Bill,

1) The "old" designation was simply a series of numbers, at least till you
got to #14 and #18 (which few outside the nuclear plant or dam-building
industry ever use, as far as I am aware).

It's just #3 through #11, in order. EASY to remember--and it has the added
attraction that most people know that system anyway.

2) That sequential system of numbers, although it has SOME relation to the
Customary unit measurement, is system-neutral otherwise.
I am not sure if you are serious here Bill.
"SOME" relation???
Your old system was not"just a series of numbers"with SOME relation to unit measurement. It was the nominal size of the bar in numbers of 1/8", a #4 being a 4/8" or 1/2" bar. It is nice that it was consecutive numbers up to 11 but so what. What would they have done with the system if they wanted to use bars smaller than 3/8" but bigger than 2/8" like some countries use. Couldn't fit into the system so cannot use it. The new system should be the same in that it should be actual bar sizes in mm, except that the numbers will not be consecutive. So what. Engineers in the rest of the world have been using this other system for years and have not had problems. Or aren't your engineers and builders as smart as those in the third world countries who converted to SI in the last 30 years without problems.

I just don't get why the WHOLE UNIVERSE has to change just so we can look
like Europe--a frightening thought anyway.

Regards  Gil Brock
Prestressed Concrete Design Consultants Pty. Ltd. (ABN 99003351504)
Ph +61 7 3807 8022              Fax +61 7 3807 8422
email:          gil(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          sales(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
email:          support(--nospam--at)raptsoftware.com
webpage:        http://www.raptsoftware.com