Re: Eccentrically Braced Frame - Link Beam

In your description, what is an earthquake? Does it mean the loading history
shown in AISC seismic provision or FEMA?

The web stiffeners in the link provide the stiffness against the web local
buckling and protect the sudden degradation of capacity after ultimate state.

If the earthquake force is small, of course, minor yielding occurs. However,
you need to finish your test until it fails or up to the certain strength
degradation.

Chung-Soo Doo

Oshin Tosounian wrote:

> I have a situation where some link beams in an eccentrically braced frame
> show signs of yielding after being subjected to an earthquake. There are no
> significant distortions in the link beams, but the paint has crack lines
> consistent with cyclic loading. Assuming the link beams have yielded to a
> certain degree and only 10% of the energy dissipation potential was lost,
> would it be sufficient to add new stiffeners to the link beams to restore
> their original capacity or would it be necessary to replace the beams?
>
> Your input is appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
> Los Angeles

> *
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *
> *   site at: http://www.seaint.org
begin:vcard
n:Doo;Chung-Soo
tel;fax:415-781-2718
tel;work:415-781-1505
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
email;internet:cdoo(--nospam--at)sdesf.com
fn:Chung-Soo Doo, Ph.D.
end:vcard