Re: Eccentrically Braced Frame - Link Beam

As my opinion, just follow the design procedureof this shear link  in the
AISC code (or you could refer to The Seismic Design Handbook, Chapter 9) and
assume a reduced Vp or Mp which in turn you can get the size of the link.
Compare the like size with the actual one. Maybe it's on the safe side since
most structures were overdesigned.

Chung-Soo,

Thanks for your reply.

What I have described in my original post is a real building, not an
experiment, that has sustained real earthquake damage. The question is do we
need to replace the link beams given the fact that some yielding may have
occurred? Would you even consider strengthening the link beams given the
fact that significant post yield capacity still exists? How does minor
yielding in the link beam affect the future performance of the frame?

Regards,

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles