Re: welded truss design assumptions

Ken,

In the old days, we solved the stresses in the truss using graphical method, method of sections, or methods of joints. So it was practical to assume that the joints were pinned rather than fix.  Assuming them fix then, would result in more laborious  calculations and would end up almost neglecting the affect anyway.

With the advent of computers, we can change the joint fixity by just pressing few buttons. At any rate, there is almost negligible difference between assuming the joints are fixed or pinned.

A. S. Quilala,  P.E.