RE: UBC Eq. 30-1

This provision evolved from the NEHRP Provisions Sec. 5.2.7.  I would
suggest that you look at the NEHRP Provisions and Commentary.  There are
about 6 pages of commentary on Sec. 5.2.7.

The NEHRP Provisions and Commentary (AKA FEMA 368 & FEMA 369) are available
FOR FREE on line through the Building Seismic Safety Council web site:
http://www.bssconline.org/.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague