RE: Design ground accelerations

Lynn,

RE: US Army Corps of Engineers TI 809-04
http://www.hnd.usace.army.mil/techinfo/ti/809-04/ti80904.htm.  It is a
seismic performance code.  It is not perfect, but it is the only thing out
there for new buildings.  It is free, and it also includes examples.  One of
the examples is a fire station.

The structural design is not all that difficult, the real issue (and cost)
is how "significant damage" is defined.  If the components are to be
seismically qualified, you will have to get into seismic qualifications like
ICBO AC 156.

You may want to assure elastic performance for the 0.6g event, and allow for
nonlinear performance for the 0.8g event.  Using a response modification
factor of 1.25 assures an essentially elastic structure.

It is actually better to link the 2 performance levels to 2 distinct
probabilities as opposed to 2 acceleration levels, and determine the ground
motion response spectra for those probabilities.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague