RE: Design ground accelerations

There are 3 primary questions which need to be resolved:

1. Does the California Building Standards Administrative Code supersede the
local code, i.e. the 1997 UBC, for this application.

2. What constitutes an acceptable "Geologic Hazards Evaluation"?

3. What seismic probability requirements are there?

I can't answer these questions for you, but I have performed designs of
public utility structures which are based on such geotechnical parameters in
excess of minimum code requirements. This is usually sorted out with the
Owner before seismic analysis is performed. Were you "told" to design per
the 1997 UBC or did you "assume" that it was the "governing code"?

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236