Re: NFPA 5000 - Why? And Where?

Bill Polhemus wrote:

> 2) Who is going to use this code? To me, since the vast majority of
> code-adoption jurisdictions have a clear, natural migration path from
> UBC/SBC/NBC to IBC and its related cousins, NFPA 5000 seems to be in the
> same situation as that of the personal computing world, where IBM's OS/2 was
> a better, but born-to-lose contestant for the PC desktop in the face of
> Microsoft's "Windows Everywhere" in the early 90s.

The NFPA has always supported the fire service. All fire-fighting apparatus used
by fire departments meets NFPA standards. The fire fire departments are the 500#
gorilla that will cause NFPA 5000 to be adopted by cities. The perception is
that since NFPA wrote a building code, it be better for life-safety, fire
prevention and fire-fighter protection.  Once NFPA 5000 is published, I think we
are going to see representatives from the fire departments go in front of their
city councils and request that it be adopted.

--
Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA AEI
a practical architectural engineer