Field Evaluation of Wood Strength in Old Structures

I am in the process of performing structural evaluations of several historic (re: old) wood framed structures. The first phase of our evaluation will be a visual inspection of the timber framing (which includes "poke-with-an-awl" testing), along with measuring moisture contents. However, we would also like to perform some field testing to evaluate wood strengths. I have used a resistograph in the past, but not a lot. Does anyone have any comments regarding this device, or know of any other devices that will allow for field evaluation of wood strength?

Eric Green, PE