Re: cast-in-place side walks/walk way/foot walk------ treatment of joints

Scott,

Well, expansion joints in the slab-on-garde/pavement need to be sealed for the following reasons:

The water/moisture would trigger pumping under the slab/pavement & ultimately damage the same; while dirt might block any function of cushion in the joint perse.

But, I agree there should be any need to seal the control/tooled/saw-cut joints.

Regards,

Syed Faiz Ahmad

>From: Scott Maxwell
>Subject: Re: cast-in-place side walks/walk way/foot walk------ treatment of joints
>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:44:26 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Syed,
>
>Assuming that there is not some weird reason that you (or I) are not aware
>of in your particular project, there is no engineering reason for sealing
>the joints that I can think of except maybe to provide a smooth surface at
>the joint location for some kind of wheeled traffic or such.
>
>As someone else pointed out, there may be a contractual need to seal the
>joints. If you are the contractor on the project and the project
>documents require that the joints be sealed and that is what you bid upon
>and agreed to do in your contract, then you may need to seal the joints.
>
>HTH,
>
>Scott
>Ypsilanti, MI
>

>On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, syed faiz ahmad wrote:
>

> > Scott,
> >
> > Thanx, it sort of reinforces my view point. So, we agree there is no need
> > to seal intermediate control (tooled/saw cut) joints, no?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Syed Faiz Ahmad
> >
> > >From: Scott Maxwell
> > >Subject: Re: cast-in-place side walks/walk way/foot walk------ treatment
> > of joints
> > >Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:33:16 -0400 (EDT)
> > >
> > >All the sidewalks in my neck of the woods have NO sealant in the joints.
> > >The joints are either just a tooled joint left "bare" or a construction
> > >joint with a "bond breaker"/pourstop in the joint.
> > >
> > >Joint spacing is at about a 2:1 to 1:1 ratio (i.e. sidewalk width is
> > >typically about 3 feet wide and joints are typically about 3 to 5 feet
> > >apart).
> > >
> > >HTH,
> > >
> > >Scott
> > >Ypsilanti, MI

> > work.

> > sealing
> > trigger

> > even if

> > which

> > seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org.
> > be
> > site
> > > >

> > >******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
> > >* Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp
> > >*
> > >* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
> > >* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
> > >* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
> > >*
> > >* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> > >*
> > >* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
> > >* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
> > >* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
> > >* site at: http://www.seaint.org

> > Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be
> [...]

Join the world?s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here