From: Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)Fluor.com [mailto:Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)Fluor.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 8:50 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: UBC Eq. 30-1

E-sub-v is defined in the 1997 UBC as "an ADDITION ... to the dead load
effect."  SEAOC, as explained in the 1999 Blue Book, intended that E-sub-v
be applied in both vertical directions.  In other words, add E-sub-v for
most load combinations and subtract E-sub-v for "uplift" load combinations.

The 2000 IBC makes this clear.  The 2000 IBC also applies it to both
working stress design and strength design.  ASCE 7-02 will also apply the
vertical earthquake in both vertical directions for both working stress and
strength design.  ASCE 7-02 will be adopted by reference by the next
generation of IBC and NFPA Building Codes.

Regards,

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.