RE: Klez Virus

Vic:

The Klez virus has been, by far, the most widely spread infection on the Internet this year.  One reason is that it is programmed to go to sleep, and then to wake up four times a year on specific dates.  One of those dates was a few days ago.  Consequently, after receiving very few email messages with viruses for the last several months, I have received more than 25 emails with Klez in the past two days.

Fortunately, I am well protected and none of the viruses have yet infected my computer.  We run McAfee on our Exchange Server, and Panda Platinum on every Windows PC.  At home, I run AVG (freeware from Germany).  All three of these antivirus programs, as well as many others, will routinely catch all of the incoming variants of Klez promptly upon their arrival.

From what you have written, your PC may already be infected.  There are a number of free web-based scanners that you can use to do a quick check without downloading and installing any new software.  For example, try Symantec or Panda.  Also, you should be aware that your post was not sent "To:" seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org.  I suspect that you sent it to "Bcc:", because my message filter didn't recognize it as a SEAINT Listserv post.

HTH,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Virus-Free in Big D

********************************
Birthdays are good for you ...
the more you have, the longer you live.
********************************

-----Original Message-----
From: vicpeng [mailto:vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 9:20 PM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient:;
Subject: Klez Virus

Over the last week I have been inundated with attacks by the W32 Klez virus coming in from all sorts of sources.

In the middle of it I keep getting a mail saying that I can overcome it by replying to a certain address Mailer-Daemon <Mailer-Daemon(--nospam--at)safari.dnswild.com>.

And today I get a message that I sent it to an address of which I have no knowledge.

I have done a full scan of my system and no evidence of the virus because my virus detection intercepts it at entry.

Is anyone else having the same problem, and are my mails transporting it?

Thor A Tandy  P.Eng, MIPENZ
Victoria BC
Canada
e-mail: vicpeng(--nospam--at)telus.net