Subject: Re:Design ground accelerations

Lynn,

As I have worked as a plan reviewer, I can tell you that your reviewer is correct from his point of view. You as a structural designer should conform with code and input data. The geotech report is exactly input data for you and it is your problem to show compliance with both code and input data. It is beyond structural designer's power to judge why the geothech engineer has included such a requirement.
    From your point of view you are trying to avoid time consumption for the PBD, as far as you have a design project ready. If you can't get along with the reviewer you should ask the building official for clarification whether compliance to UBC is enough or evidence that the building can withstand prescribed accelerations should be provided. When you receive his answer -apply it in design documentation and act accordingly.

HTH
Georgi Stoyanov