Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Combined Shear and Tension on A449 Bolts[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "Seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Combined Shear and Tension on A449 Bolts
- From: "Ken Peoples" <kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net>
- Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:07:30 -0400
I am interested in combined tension and shear stresses for Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts. I think that the Grade 5 bolts are similar to A449 and the Grade 8 are A354 Grade BD. For A449 bolts, Table J.3.3 of ASD 9th edition has a formula for calculating the allowable tensile stress in bolts greater than 1 1/2" diameter subject to shear.
If I have 3/4" Grade 5 bolts, should I just use fa/Fa + fv/Fv <1.0 using Fa = .33Fu and Fv = 0.17Fu?
Should this same approach be used for the Grade 8's.
Thanks in advance,
Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.
Lehigh Valley Technical Associates
1584 Weaversville Road
Northampton, PA 18067-9039
Phone: (610) 262-6345
Fax: (610) 262-8188
- Prev by Subject: Re: Column Buckling (local buckling in HSS)
- Next by Subject: RE: Combined Shear and Tension on A449 Bolts
- Previous by thread: Subject: Re:Design ground accelerations
- Next by thread: RE: Combined Shear and Tension on A449 Bolts