RE: Combined Shear and Tension on A449 Bolts

>I am interested in combined tension and shear stresses for
>Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts.  I think that the Grade 5 bolts are
>similar to A449 and the Grade 8 are A354 Grade BD.  For A449
>bolts, Table J.3.3 of ASD 9th edition has a formula for calculating
>the allowable tensile stress in bolts greater than 1 1/2" diameter
>subject to shear.
>If I have 3/4" Grade 5 bolts, should I just use fa/Fa + fv/Fv <1.0
>using Fa = .33Fu and Fv = 0.17Fu?

That interaction equation is a straight line, whereas bolt shear tension interaction is better represented by an ellipse, such as equation 5.2 in the RCSC Specification (a free download at http://www.boltcouncil.org). If you rewrite it as (fa/Fa)^2 + (fv/Fv)^2 <= 1.0 for ASD, you get the equations that are in Appendix B of the RCSC Specification. The general form should work for A449 bolts, too.

Charlie