RE: Parking Garage Collapse in Pennsylania Sept 4

>There was a partial collapse of a parking
>garage near Penn State on September 4th.
>Does anybody know anything more that the
>limited amount that was in the news that day?
>In addition to what might have caused it,
>what was the structural system?

Part of the structure was a slab on grade with a retaining wall. That
portion is still in place. The other part was framed as follows:

  asphalt topping on
  concrete-topping on
  DOX plank floor system (essentially, a panelized prefabricated
     assembly of concrete block with rebar grouted into voids near
     the tension face of the panel) framing between lines of
  steel girders, both cantilevered and drop-in spans, over
  steel columns
  masonry shear walls at the perimeter

Evaluation of the collapse has just begun and there is very little
information other than the summary of the system and that the ashpalt
topping had been applied very recently and the collapse coincided with the
first significant re-loading of the newly topped system.

Rather than speculate now, I will post additional information when it
becomes available.

Charlie