From: Jim Kestner [mailto:jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 2:04 PM
To: 'SEAINT'
Subject: Rooftop Units

I have a large rooftop unit that sits over six joists. It is made of up of
several components including the fan, compressor, coil sections, etc. I am
currently reviewing data from one manufacturer who gives me the overall size
and weight plus the corner weights. I know the compressor section is
probably the heaviest section. I have asked for the weights of the various
components including their lengths so that I can convert those loads to a
plf and then apply the heaviest concentrated load to the joists. In other
words, I need more information on the distribution of weight.

The salesman is claiming that he cannot provide this info. yet I have
received this info. from other manufacturers when I have ask for it. Our
next step is to get try to get the info. right from the manufacturing plant.

I know that there will probably be some load sharing since all the joists
will most likely deflect together. Am I asking for too much or being too
conservative?

Jim Kestner
Green Bay, Wi