RE: Contract Rates

Bill,

	I don't know the specifics of your relationship with the client, but I
would not be willing to reduce my fee just because someone else is in
charge.  Regardless of whether you are drawing on someone else's titleblock
and hence insurance umbrella, you may still be liable if something happens.
Additionally, I feel sure you will still keep your one-man shop open during
your contract on the chemical plant project; which means you still have
overhead.  I would start at your standard rate (I use $115/hr to $125/hr)
and let them tell you it is too much.  Remember, they asked you to help
them.  So you have to assume you can offer them something they need
(expertise, experience, etc.) and not just a warm body to crunch numbers.

Brian K. Smith, P.E.