RE: Design ground accelerations

Ground acceleration also does not translate directly into the acceleration experienced by the structure (before the R factor reductions for ductility.) The acceleration experienced by the structure is actually proportional to the pseudo-acceleration, a quantity derived from the ground motion, structure period, and damping assumptions. It's the pseudo-acceleration that's plotted on a response spectrum.
-----Original Message-----
From: VerneK(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:VerneK(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 7:03 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Design ground accelerations

I think Mr. Sherman is right, as I mentioned before, the values given by the
Soils Engineer is probably the peak values on the seismic spectrum.  The
UBC reduces it by the ductility factor (R value).  It's been a while since my
school days but this is what I recall.  Also, ground frequency does not
necessarily translate directly to building frequency.

Verne