From: Mike Auchter [mailto:mikea(--nospam--at)tetercon.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 3:30 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Stairs

The firm I work with has recently accepted some work from a steel
fabricator for the engineering design/approval of steel stairs.
Normally, we have been on the end of the drawings that defer that design
to others, but now that the shoe is on the other foot, we have run into
some questions regarding the need for isolation of the stairs from the
main lateral system.

It would seem that the two designs are either to isolate the stairs with
slotted hole connections or to not isolate the stairs with direct welded
or bolted connections.  The details we have seen from this fabricator
and others typically show a directly welded connection of the stringers
to the floor beams or intermediate landing beams.

The UBC has the deformation compatibility requirement (section
1633.2.4), but doesn't seem to otherwise directly address steel stairs.

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight regarding code
requirements/general design practices when it comes to whether to
isolate or not isolate steel stairs from the main structure?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mike Auchter, EIT

Teter Consultants, LLP
Visalia, CA 93291