From: Andrew D. Kester [mailto:andrew(--nospam--at)baeonline.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 7:17 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RTU loads on joists

One other alternative of using steel beams to support mechanical loads (this
can make connections to joist-girders a pain) is the KCS Joist. It has
similar sizes and load capacities of a K Series, but it is designed for a
flat moment and shear envelope. So it does not matter where you put the
point loads or increased uniform loads, as long as you have checked it for
max M and V. We just started specifying these and wish we would have done it
a while ago. Although we do not do much northern work, I think these would
be especially useful for snow drift loads.

Although this does not completely solve Jim's problem because he has an RTU
that spans 6 joists. One other option, if possible, that may help you, is to
see if the ME will change the orientation of the RTU to run parallel with
the RTU so you can just overdesign 2-3 joists rather then 6+ joists. A lot
of the time our ME's are flexible and they may just not realize the impact
it has on the structure and will gladly change it.

Good luck,

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL