Angle iron and trusses and pandecking

Hi and hope to find an answer to this sort of simple problem. At one of the
job sites I was at today one of the welders asked about welding together the
angle iron supports that we run across the lower frame of trusses to tie
them together. I can't remember the exact term, because I have heard them
called so many different names, one of which is "rat runs". It is the angle
bar that we run from truss to truss parrallel to the ridge line, and weld to
each truss. But to get to the point, the welder mentioned that we always
weld both vertical and horizontal legs of connection when tieing one piece
of angle to another angle, but the specs say weld 2" with 3" steel overlap.
He mentioned that it says no where in specs that more than one weld needs to
be made. I'd rather see both welds made, but I try not to let my personal
opinions or experience interfere with plan specs or code. Any help on this,
comments, ideas, or information location would be great. One more question,
a quickie. Does anyone know of a low hydrogen rod that works as well as 6022
when it comes to pan decking. the percentage of passing welds with 6022 is
far higher than 7018 on my pan deck inspections. I think it may just be lack
of time and preparation by the welders, but that is not what they say
(imagine that). I'm wondering about 7028, as pandecking is almost always in
the flat position. Any help on this (as always) is greatly appreciated. I
don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy the daily digest, and always learn
something else and new. Thanks to everyone.
	Kent Golding
	KLeinfelder
	Bend, Or.