Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

RE: Angle iron and trusses and pandecking

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

See below.

Harold O. Sprague

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	kg [SMTP:firstluff(--nospam--at)]
> Sent:	Saturday, May 18, 2002 9:09 PM
> To:	Seaint@Seaint. Org
> Subject:	Angle iron and trusses and pandecking
> Hi and hope to find an answer to this sort of simple problem. At one of
> the
> job sites I was at today one of the welders asked about welding together
> the
> angle iron supports that we run across the lower frame of trusses to tie
> them together. I can't remember the exact term, because I have heard them
> called so many different names, one of which is "rat runs". It is the
> angle
> bar that we run from truss to truss parrallel to the ridge line, and weld
> to
> each truss. 
	HOS - If these are "trusses", you are referring to bottom chord
bracing.  If they are bar joists, it is bridging.

> But to get to the point, the welder mentioned that we always
> weld both vertical and horizontal legs of connection when tieing one piece
> of angle to another angle, but the specs say weld 2" with 3" steel
> overlap.
> He mentioned that it says no where in specs that more than one weld needs
> to
> be made. I'd rather see both welds made, but I try not to let my personal
> opinions or experience interfere with plan specs or code. Any help on
> this,
> comments, ideas, or information location would be great. 
	HOS- If it is bridging, and is designed as tension only, it does not
matter much.  Check out the forces in the bridging and design the weld
accordingly.  It should not be much.

> One more question,
> a quickie. Does anyone know of a low hydrogen rod that works as well as
> 6022
> when it comes to pan decking. the percentage of passing welds with 6022 is
> far higher than 7018 on my pan deck inspections. I think it may just be
> lack
> of time and preparation by the welders, but that is not what they say
> (imagine that). I'm wondering about 7028, as pandecking is almost always
> in
> the flat position. Any help on this (as always) is greatly appreciated. I
> don't know about anyone else, but I enjoy the daily digest, and always
> learn
> something else and new. 
	HOS - I presume by pandecking that you are referring to metal roof
or floor deck.  The 6022 is a fast freeze 60ksi, flat or horizontal position
rod.  The 6022 rod is the preferred rod for welding metal deck.  It has a
lower required heat input, and you don't burn up the deck as you would with
a 7028 rod.  The 7028 rod is a fast fill 70ksi, flat or horizontal position
rod.  Puddle welds are not an easy weld to make, but not real hard once you
figure out the technique.  I have seen experienced structural welders mess
them up.  The amperage generally needs to be backed off.  The lighter the
deck gauge, the harder it is to make the weld without burning up the deck.

> Thanks to everyone.
> 	Kent Golding
> 	KLeinfelder
> 	Bend, Or.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********