Residential design in the desert

Title: Residential design in the desert

I will shortly begin my first design of a house located in the desert (so. Cal).

The architect didn’t think that a soils report is typically done since it is in a desert locale. Is that true, I thought for new construction it was required.

I take it that most houses in this region are slab on grade (please correct me if I am wrong). What is common practice in this design? I would take it that you would have turned down/thickened edges to accept the hold-down anchors at the shearwall locations. Do you guys design these as mats or do you just thicken the slabs under the shear/bearing walls to whatever is necessary to get proper embedments? Are post-tensioned slabs common?

Also, if anyone could show me the way to some good references for slab on grade residential I’d appreciate it. I am usually doing traditional spread footing w/ crawlspace or pier & grade beams type foundations for residential.

TIA

-gerard

Santa Clara,CA