RE: SAE J429 grade 5 and grade 8 bolts

>I have speced out A325  type 3 bolts and the contractor
>has ask me If he can use either Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts
>I can't find any info on this desigination does anyone know
>where I can look?

Grade 5 and Grade 8 are from SAE J429. Strength wise, they are similar to ASTM A325 and A490, respectively. However, they have different physical characteristics, such as head size, thread length, and do not necessarily comply with the testing that is required for ASTM A325 and A490 bolts. As indicated here, I would not allow the substitution.

    http://www.aisc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Technical_Answers&template=/FAQ/FAQListAll.cfm&FAQID=954

Charlie