Re: Residential design in the desert

Gerard
Have you tried calling the building department?.  In most cases, you will
be given some guidlines for submittal requirements.   Of course this is no
substitute for in situ analysis of soils condition but generally you would
have an idea.  When I checked projects for desert communities before, the
City provided us with maps of areas considerd to have compressible or
highly expansive soils.
Samir Ghosn,PE
Harris & Associates
.At 10:07 AM 9/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>      I will shortly begin my first design of a house located in the desert
>(so. Cal).  The architect didn’t think that a soils report is
>typically done since it is in a desert locale. Is that true, I thought for
>new construction it was required.  I take it that most houses in this
>region are slab on grade (please correct me if I am wrong). What is common
>practice in this design? I would take it that you would have turned
>down/thickened edges to accept the hold-down anchors at the shearwall
>locations. Do you guys design these as mats or do you just thicken the
>slabs under the shear/bearing walls to whatever is necessary to get proper
>embedments? Are post-tensioned slabs common?   Also, if anyone could show
>me the way to some good references for slab on grade residential I’&
>grade beams type foundations for residential.  TIA  -gerard  Santa
Clara,CA